Saturday, January 7, 2012

Awakening

Well, we are back into the swing of things here at our house and as I look around this morning I see visible evidence that the chaos of life has returned. Yikes, how does this happen so easily? Before I run my Saturday defense against the mess I wanted to take the time to reflect on something I have been pondering this week.
I have been digesting alot of beautiful posts concerning picking a word to focus on through 2012. I was inspired to think about what theme I would want to represent my life for this year. There were many words that came to mind but nothing I could really wrap my heart around until yesterday as I was running at the gym and heard this song from Chris Tomlin...



I listened to Awakening over and over while I finished my work out on the treadmill and with each time I felt overwhelmed with emotion as I prayed to have my soul awakened so I could sing. See, I feel that for the past year, I've been asleep spiritually. I have gone through the motions of going to church, and even praying but I am ashamed to say that I really haven't allowed The Word to live in and through me and the passion for my God and a depth of faith in Him just hasn't been present in my life. For many reasons, my faith has been a little shipwrecked, desperately needing to be rescued and awakened to sing.

In thinking about being awakened to sing I recalled a time in my life when pre-dawn runs were a frequent part of my life. I would wake up before sun rise and run down the beautiful scenic road in front of our home. As I ran, the world would awaken. The birds would begin to sing, the fish would start making ripples in the waters of the Indian River and there were even some flowers that would open with the light making its way into the darkness. I absolutely loved this time of day. The whole scene was a beautiful expression of God's magnificent creation and I was always thankful that I was able to experience it. Remembering this, I decided that during this year I want God to awaken my soul to reflect His beauty just as He does for his creation along an inter coastal waterway in central FL.

So my word for 2012 is

"AWAKEN"

3 comments:

Jodee said...

Love, love, love your word! My words are "organize" and "embrace."

Hope you have a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

my words are, "Nichole, you are amazing and wonderful".

Football and Fried Rice said...

I love it. I, too, have spent more time than I'd like to admit sleepwalking spiritually. Our God deserves so much more from me than the seconds that I sometimes give Him.

**love** Chris Tomlinson! He has been a huge source of encouragement to me too!