Saturday, July 13, 2013

Revive, Refresh, Restore, and Renew

Revive, Refresh, Restore and Renew: the four R’s of my life as I embark on our new lifestyle of being at home full-time.  It has been a bit of adjustment as I try to manage a summer schedule of 6 people.  I literally returned to a home that hadn’t been fully addressed in 3 years while I was consumed with my work outside of our home.  Believe me when I say it was kind of scary so we have been in a recovery mode in order to have a fresh start to our new way of life.  The chaos and dirt has created an overwhelming desire to restore my house to a more functional living space and I have been bound and determined to get these projects done before school begins however, I have been reminded of my purpose to build memories with my kids that will last long after I am gone and have thought well, maybe all of the Pinterest inspired organization projects can wait until my kiddos are spending their days in school and  I have time alone. So rather than tackling the storage closet in the basement that desperately needs a good dose of purging or a garage that should have the same, we will hit the pool, take some bike rides, see some movies and just soak in summer life for it will be gone way too soon.
This whole attitude of recovering and restoring my home to what it once was has reminded me of a more personal journey of reviving, refreshing, restoring and renewing my life in a deeper sense.  As the school year drew to an end during the last week of May, I found myself in great need of resuscitation.  I was physically, mentally and emotional drained and I looked and felt as if I been hit by a truck.   The previous 6 months had literally sucked the life out of me and as I boarded a plane heading to Florida with my 4 kiddos I desperately needed some life support.  As I think about that plane ride, I am amazed that I managed the flight without major complications.  Arriving to the warm sunshine of the place I used to call home was like the CPR for my mind, body and soul and upon feeling the embrace of my mom, dad and sister, I could feel the life returning to me within minutes of arriving.  It is truly amazing to know how the love of family can revitalize the weariness.  For 12 days I soaked in some of this 
 
 
 
and this

but most of all this

 

There is nothing more soothing to the a weary heart to see the sweet faces of your children light up with a joy that cannot be captured in words….happiness that overflows from feeling loved and adored by those who treasure your very presence. Who feel as though every second with you is a treasure to behold and to simply do nothing other than bask in the beauty of being together! To say that I needed those 12 days is a huge understatement.  It wasn’t a grand and lavish vacation but simple moments of  peace soaking in what is important in life and it was just what I needed to revive all parts of me.
The end of our visit came much too soon and we all longed for more time with our family but  the vacation had to end…much like when you are drawing to the end of a relaxing massage and your body begs for more yet you know it has to end and you have to return to the real world.  And so with heavy hearts I gathered up my pack and we journeyed home.  Revived but needing more refreshment and wondering if I could manage it once I returned to CO.    I was reminded of the 23rd Psalm during a morning devotion while in Florida and found myself soaking in the words of the MSG version.  “You have bedded me down in lush meadows, you find me quiet pools to drink from.  True to your word you let me catch my breath and send me in the right direction.”  Oh how do we all need from time to time, a rest in the lush meadows of life, a drink from quiet pools.  Having a chance to catch our breath so that we can hear God sending us in the right direction.

I find myself still in a state of needing refreshment.  Trying to find quiet moments to drink in the goodness of the Lord.  I have been overwhelmed with this sense knowing that my Lord wants to envelope me in the peace of His embrace that breathes life into me much like the hugs of my mom and dad did on the day of my arrival in FL. I literally didn't have the time for this when I was trying to manage a 50 hour a week job along with a house, 4 kids and everything else that life threw at me but now the question is will I take the time to rest in His embrace feeling the fullness of His love and desire to let me “catch my breath”
I have a glimpse of restoration and ultimately renewal of all those things that have been absent from my life.  It may take time to re-learn and re-establish a new way of life and recover my mind (which according to Joshua has been lost at Target), my spirit and my body but I am excited for the first time in a very long while at what the future holds for me as a wife, mommy but more importantly as a child of God. 

I fully realize having left the comforts of my life as a stay at home wife and mom for a period of time that there are so many incredible women juggling the balls of life right now, wearing way too many hats and feeling frustrated, alone and desperately needing to “sit for a spell”, as my grandmother would say.    I pray today that if you somehow have stumbled upon this post and your body and soul are weary that you will find a moment in the day to sit.  It doesn’t have to be in a porch swing with a big glass of sweet tea although if you are able to manage that I sure do envy you but just take a few minutes to catch your breath, drink from some quiet pools and visit with the God who made you.
 

1 comment:

Jodee said...

Congrats on your new SAHM status. I am sooo excited for you and I admire you so much! It is so hard working outside the home and trying to juggle work and family. However, I am not domestic enough to stay home! Therefore, I continue on with the madness! Yuck!